The prespawn bite has been phenomenal on the Missouri River in North Dakota, and Lake Sakakawea started a hot big fish bite after ice out in mid April as well. Along with that, North Dakota started its Smart Restart, phase one to get businesses back open May 1. Food joints are operating and half capacity, and more lodging places should be open. Out of an abundance of caution, though, I will be still trying to social distance as much off the water as possible to protect clients.
I'll be making my migration to Garrison, North Dakota, on May 4th and be ready to accept any trips a couple days thereafter.
Also, as we get started, we wanted to announce the inaugural Wall Hangers contest for the 2020 season. We're giving away a fiberglass replica from Fibertech Productions (fibertechproductions.com) to the person who catches the longest walleye in our boat this year! We'll be updating standings frequently so everyone can follow along with the leaders. The rules are as follows:
1) Longest walleye by length during the 2020 open water season wins a free replica made by Fibertech Productions and shipped to your house
2) Length measurements are done by pinching the tail and rounding down to the nearest quarter inch
3) In case of a tie, the first caught is considered the victor
4) Fish must be caught in my boat by a paying client (clients who won free or discounted trips via raffles will count as “paying clients”)
5) The fish must be released safely (we will take measurements of length, girth, digital weight, and a number of photos for a great fiberglass replica)
6) We will update the standings on a frequent basis so you can follow on social media and our Wall Hangers tab of the website, bloemendaalfishing.com
7) Second place will receive a Bloemendaal Guide Service shirt
8) Third place will receive a Bloemendaal Guide Service hat
And if you'd rather take them in via video form, here ya go!
It's time to get out, enjoy some sun, social distance, and catch some fish!